Tuesday, October 14, 2014

ONLY the Dead...

In the short story " Only the Dead Know Brooklyn" by Thomas Wolfe, I strongly identify with the sensibility of the "big guy" who seeks to discover Brooklyn, as opposed to the" little guy" who tries to dissuade him.  The little guy constantly tries  to thwart the big guy's natural curiosity, and sense of wonder with the world. The "big guy," asks question, and has a natural desire to explore his environment. In my own life, I constantly walk the streets of Boston, and always want to discover the hidden mysteries of the cityscape.

The "big guy" who appears lost on a Brooklyn subway platform seek assistance from a long time native  of Brooklyn. The "big guy" asks the little guy about getting to "Bensonhoist" a section of the borough. The little guy asks him why does he want to travel out there. The big guy responded: "... I like to go out an' take a look at place wit nice names like dat. I like to look to go out an' look at all kinds of places." (Wolfe) The little guy was shocked and even angered by this. He responded "Whatcha trying to hand me?... ".  ( Wolfe) It was beyond the realm of the little guy's experience to explore something simply because of its name. He was practical--his curiosity did not stray to fanciful notions.

I find the big guy's approach more to my liking. In my travels through the city I will often go down streets with names like " Hamlet Street'  or "Joy Street" just to see what they look like. I am open to discovery--I can be impractical just like the big guy. There is no room for this with the little guy.

The big guy's impractical nature, his flights of fancy, his raw artistic nature is one that I can identify with. If I was on the subway platform with the little guy, the little guy would be equally frustrated with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment