Friday, November 5, 2010

ENG111

In Deborah Tannen's " Sex, Lies and Conversation" she focuses on how men and women communicate very differently. She calls it " cross-cultural" communication and describes how men and women have different expectations when it comes to converstion. A woman sees talk as a sort of intimacy, while men take a more hierarchial approach--to them talk is about status and not being pushed around.


I can relate to this because when I was growing up, I shared secrets with my friends and talked about a lot of things. I noticed that my brother acted differently with his friends and they were always pushing and wrestling with each other. They seemd to have a connection without all of the talking all of us girls had.



*************************************************************************************


I strongly agree with Tannen's thesis in which she states that systemic differences in childhood socialization make talk between men and women like cross-cultural communication. It is my opinon that men and women are raised and experience things in society that condition that condition them to listen and interpert what is said differently.

In my own personal experience when I talk to my male friends I want to get my point across and dismiss what they say. And when I talk to women I want to stick to the facts and leave out feelings.

*************************************************************************************

*************************************************************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment